Fishing pliers are part of the tools to have when you want to go fishing. They are used for the removal of hook from fish and then the cutting of a fishing line. Your fishing paraphernalia is not complete without it.
Anglers know how important this tool is because it is used to aid the release of fish back into the water when they go fly fishing. You should not underrate the importance of this tool.
A good fishing plier should be easy to use, ergonomic (comfortable and conforming to the shape of ones’ hand) with strong jaw.
In this article, we would review the best fishing pliers in 2021. We would give you our list of what we consider the 8 top fishing pliers for the year.
Best Overall Product
Product Name- MadBite Aluminum Pliers
- Manufactured with top quality aircraft grade aluminium.
- 100% anti- rust so it can be used in saltwater.
- 5 inches long; this gives the user enough length for crimping and cutting.
- 2 inches needle nose jaws that are ideal for removing hooks that have gone deep into large species of fish.
- Spring loaded with tungsten carbide braid cutters. This makes it very effective for cutting any type of monofilament, braid or wire.
This and many other features make this plier a great choice for anglers and it comes in at a very affordable cost of $25
Best Plier with Long Nose
Product Name – Booms Fishing H01 Pliers
- The nose is extra-long which makes it ideal for removing hook that is buried deep in a fish.
- It is an easy to use plier which makes it great for newbies.
- It is manufactured with 420 stainless steel which makes the scissors strong enough to cut through any kind of wire, braid, fluorocarbon and monofilament.
- Comes with a safety lock and a lanyard that can be easily attached to waders or fishing jackets.
Best Budget Pliers Made With Aluminum
Product Name- Piscifun Aluminum
- Manufactured from anodized aluminium that’s aircraft grade.
- They are sturdy yet comfortable to handle
- Designed with springs that enable the plier to open freely. This also makes it easy for user to handle with only one hand.
- The stainless steel jaw works perfectly to remove split rings and hooks.
- The tungsten carbide cutters are replaceable and able to cut through strong braids, fly lines, mono leaders and backings.
All these wonderful features come in at a very pocket friendly amount. This shows that you don’t need to spend so much money to get a functional and durable tool.
Best High End Product
Product Name – Van Staal 6” Titanium Pliers
- Manufactured with titanium construction that is long lasting even when used in the harshest saltwater. No matter the condition of the water, the plier would not rust.
- It is beautifully designed and high performance.
- The jaws deliver maximum power to hold and remove even the most stubborn of hooks.
- The line cutter is spring loaded and ergonomic. It can cut through the toughest of braids and lines with precision.
- The anvil blades and tungsten cutter are replaceable.
This high end plier is a statement of class among fishing enthusiast and is guaranteed to last a lifetime.
Best For Saltwater
Product Name – Bubba Blade 7.5 Inch Pliers
- Built to withstand the wear and tear of heavy usage in saltwater.
- Made from aircraft grade aluminium with stainless steel jaws.
- Very sturdy and durable.
- Comes with side cutters and is spring loaded which makes for ease of use with a single hand.
- Also comes with a sheath and lanyard for attaching it to waders or fishing jackets.
For more information on saltwater fishing, click here.
Plier With The Best Grip
Product Name- KastKing Cutthroat 7”
- Manufactured from anti-rust stainless steel and Teflon coating which makes it significantly harder than most products.
- Handles are rubber coated to deliver very comfortable yet slip resistant grip.
- It has tungsten carbide cutters and jaws that are multifunctional.
- Can come with either a split ring nose or a straight nose.
- Includes a lanyard and a sheath so that user can attach it to their wader for easy access for use.
Best Industrial/Heavy Duty Plier
Product Name – Manley 6.5” Teflon and Vinyl Grip Super Pliers
- Heavily constructed for blue water fishing and able to withstand the wear and tear of off-shore fishing.
- Its stubby jaws have the strength that’s needed for the removal of large hooks from extra-large fish.
- It is very sturdy with lines cutters that are side-mounted. These cutters are strong enough for any kind of braid or line.
- The cutters stay sharp for as long as they last and easily cuts through hook shafts.
- It is spring loaded and coated with corrosion resistant Teflon. And the handles have vinyl plastisol grips which make them anti-slip and ergonomic.
Best In A Set
Product Name – Orvis Hydros Aluminum Pliers
- It comes with extra set of screws, cutters and a wrench.
- It’s available in 2 versions which are 5 inches long for fresh water fishing and 7.5 inches long for saltwater fishing.
- The long ones have rounded jaws while the shorter ones have needle nose jaws.
- Both versions are manufactured from anti-corrosion aerospace grade aluminium.
- The handles are non-slip, ergonomic and safe for use in every weather condition.
This is just a short review of the 8 products on our list. You still need to do your due diligence to ensure that the plier you decide to buy would deliver on its promise. You can also watch this video for more insight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc7qIfwQHvw
Following from the brief review of these 8 pliers we can deduce the following:
- The ideal plier must have a nonslip and comfortable grip.
- The material of manufacture must be of good quality to be able to withstand the wear and tear of constant use in water.
- The jaw must have a strong grip.
- The cutters must be very sharp and strong.
With these features in mind, we believe that you should be able to make an informed choice. We wish you the best as you shop for the fishing plier that’s best for you.